Thursday, January 22, 2009

Meet our director!


Dr. Rosemary LoGuidice will be the Center's interim director. She will be the public face of the Center, and she will be a wonderful advocate for its programs. She's an Illinois graduate, and she's proud to be back. It's been terrific to work with someone who's so enthusiastic about the College.

I asked her a few questions to get to know her, and this is what she said:

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I was born in Albany, NY, but spent most of my life in Illinois (Geneseo, near the Quad Cities in the western part of IL). I am a 1981 Graduate of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine; I spent 8 years at the U of I. My undergraduate degree was in Agricultural Science. I was fortunate to spend 6 years singing in the U of IL Women's Glee Club, and even got to participate in a 3 week concert tour of Europe with the WGC!

I was in private practice (equine, food animal and dogs and cats) for 20 years. I've been active in organized veterinary medicine, including serving as president of the Illinois State Veterinary Medicine Association (ISVMA). I have worked at the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) from 2001 until leaving in 2009 to work at the new
University of Illinois Chicago Center for Veterinary Medicine.

I love the shooting sports. I also work with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources as a Hunter Safety Education Instructor. I am a member of a women's shooting organization. We promote safe shooting activities and introduce women and anyone really to the shooting sports.


I enjoy golf, although I am not good at it. It's more important to have fun than to make yourself miserable trying to be good! :-)


I enjoy working with my dog at agility and "dock dog" activities. If I can keep up with him, I'll be ok!

Tell us why you’re excited about the Center.
This is a tremendous opportunity to provide veterinary students with primary care veterinary experiences. Learning about the day to day operations and events in private clinical practice in addition to the knowledge base they receive at the main teaching hospital and veterinary school is very important for a student to develop the proper skills needed to be comfortable in private practice upon graduation. I look forward to working with area practices as well as incorporating input from the services available at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.

The opportunity for me to return to clinical work, be a part of the college at the
Chicago Center for Veterinary Medicine, work with students and to develop canine rehabilitation services are all reasons I am excited! Besides, I'll get to wear orange and blue every day, if I want to. What could be better for an Illini?!

Tell us about your pets/your experience with animals.
My first pets were a pair of chickens, "Sarge" and "Private" when I was about 8 years old; I progressed to "Peanuts" the hamster, then "Grigio" a gerbil, then "Napoleon" a black 1/2 Siamese cat that was actually trainable: for one trick, he would meow outside my bedroom window for me to lower a basket on a rope so I could pull him up (1 story high is all) into my bedroom. My first and only horse, that I had for 16 years, was the first horse I ever saw born (I was 13 at the time), "JJ Socko". Unfortunately, he and I were hit by a drunk driver when I was riding him and he was killed. I then acquired a great dog, "TJ". He was an Australian Cattle Dog, and way too smart! He would ride with me in my practice truck on calls with me. After "TJ", I adopted an abandoned cat, "Smudge", a white and yellow domestic short hair that I still have. In June 2008, "Otter" (a field-bred English Cocker Spaniel) came to live with me and he is a true delight....most of the time. He and Smudge amuse each other and me!

No comments: